Fullstack Rails Engineer (A few roles, Mid - Senior Level)
Travel Operations and Sales Specialist
Kimkim was created by experienced travel entrepreneurs. Our mission is to help independent travelers have unforgettable travel experiences by creating custom trips that perfectly match the unique requirements and desires of each traveler. We do this by combining cutting-edge technology with a global network of travel specialists. This combination of humans and technology creates magical experiences that can’t be achieved through technology alone.
We have helped tens of thousands of couples, families, groups, and individuals plan trips of a lifetime to over 90 destinations. Whether you and your loved ones want to dive into Italy's rich culinary culture, explore Costa Rica's jungles, or challenge yourself with a trek in the Himalayas, we can help turn your dream into the perfect trip.
Fullstack Rails Engineer (A few roles, Mid - Senior Level)
We are looking for driven, curious, self-motivated engineers to join us and grow with us. You’ll join our growing team with many opportunities to design new product features, improve code structure and best practices, strengthen development processes, and take on additional ownership and responsibilities.
We are hiring for a few roles to build up the engineering team and we are looking for a variety of experience levels from Mid to Senior levels.
You should expect to work on all layers of the system, from designing the DB structure, business logic, views, UI, interactions, analytics, AB Tests, internal dashboards & tools, and more. This is a great opportunity to learn more about each of these areas.
We are a small distributed company looking for people who are comfortable balancing several responsibilities.
Our product and engineering team is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and meet in San Francisco 2 times a week for more collaborative discussions and working the other days remotely. You're welcome to work in-office more than that if you like.
Kimkim helps travelers have unforgettable authentic travel experiences. We do this by connecting independent travelers with local specialists who design personalized itineraries including activities, accommodations, and transportation.
We partner with passionate travel specialists in 90+ destinations around the world who work with top local activity operators, guides, and accommodations. All trips are 100% climate neutral.
Read kimkim traveler reviews on TrustPilot
Travel demand is coming back strongly in 2022, and we expect this year to be a great year for kimkim as we double down on the growth we saw in the second half of 2021. We have a long, focused product roadmap to improve our travel planning tools for both our specialists and travelers.
The kimkim team is currently based in a few hubs:
- Our headquarters is in Boulder with our CEO and head of Destination Development and Customer support teams.
- The Product and Engineering teams are based in the San Francisco Bay Area
- The Destination Development Team is based in our Amsterdam office.
About the Engineering & Product Team
Kimkim is a marketplace, and the product and engineering teams are building products to help our specialists, travelers, and our internal support team—in essence, 3 distinct products to drive the growth of the overall marketplace.
As an early member of our team, you will have the opportunity to shape these three distinct products.
- For our specialists: we are building tools to quickly create beautiful itineraries and price them effectively. We build tools to help our specialists manage many concurrent ongoing traveler trips and tools to help prioritize their time for the most likely trips to book.
- For our travelers: we want to create a fun and engaging onboarding experience, where travelers can tell us what they are looking for on their trip. This also helps us match them to the best available specialist. We are also experimenting with ways to increase brand loyalty as well as creating “6-star experiences” during the trip.
- For our internal team: we want to build tools and metrics to help our team grow our specialist network in a “quality guaranteed” way. We identify best practices and try to train and encourage the rest of the partner network to adopt them. We want to be able to share metrics that help pinpoint specific areas for growth and improvement for each partner company.
We work in a flexible way distributed across multiple time zones, with most communication asynchronous. Daily communication is over Slack and Zoom, and we rely on shared Google Docs, Jira, Figma, and Loom videos to communicate asynchronously.
No specs are 100% final. We encourage and expect everyone on the team to share their perspectives and feel comfortable sharing different viewpoints to help us understand the tradeoffs between certain implementation decisions/designs from a technical perspective.
We break projects into smaller chunks, with each typically taking 0-3 days from start to launch. We have no scheduled releases and push code several times a week or day as projects are ready. We try to design and code for flexibility, as we typically make changes once we see things live and in use.
We are looking for people who communicate clearly, set good expectations, and deliver consistently.
About the Full-stack Position
This is a growth-focused role: We are looking for people who are looking to grow in their skills and responsibilities to become a leader on the team as we continue to hire more engineers. We are looking for people who are comfortable with changing product roadmaps as we want to stay flexible and adapt to new challenges and opportunities.
Tech Stack, Tools, Key Services
Heroku • Rails • Postgres • Bootstrap • Redis • AWS (RDS, S3, CloudFront)
SendGrid • Mapbox • Stripe • Twilio
Jira • Bitbucket • Figma • Rollbar • Looker • Google Analytics
Have other suggestions, improvements? Great, let us know!
Growth Goals & Expectations
As a small but lean startup, we have many opportunities to take on ownership and responsibility. As travel comes back in 2022 we expect to re-grow quickly and sustainably.
Hiring Process & Expectations
While we do not require previous experience in any particular language, strong candidates will have some experience in full-stack development (DB to UI), ideally on some web-based, consumer-facing product.
- Interested? Email us at [email protected] with your resume (or apply on Angel.co) and some information about why you think you are a great fit for kimkim and this role.
- Interviews will include technical discussions as well as meeting with others on the team, such as the Head of Product and CEO/Founder.
- Technical Interview
- We want the process to reflect daily work as closely as we can.
- We will share background info on a mock project before the interview so that you can familiarize yourself with the scope, requirements, and think about how you would approach the project.
- During the interview, you should be able to react to new requirements that come in scope and be comfortable discussing different solutions and tradeoffs.
- You'll be asked to write code in some form in a shared editor. But, we don't get caught up in semantics. It's great if you have Rails experience. If not, code in whatever language you think makes the most sense for your skills and the situation. Make up a language as long as it’s not too abstract. We are more interested in the process and your approach.
We are looking for people with a well-rounded skill set who are looking to learn and help us grow the team and the company.
Travel Operations and Sales Specialist
We are looking for a meticulous and customer service-oriented operations and sales specialist to coordinate the logistics and travel arrangements corresponding to booked client trips, enhance the operations process, and assist throughout the entire travel sales process.
The specialist’s responsibilities will be three-fold. Their primary responsibility will be to oversee operations and execute travel bookings. This includes reserving hotel, air, transfers, and other travel services as needed for a traveler’s trip. The specialist will need to maintain strong relationships with our suppliers and partners, and assist in determining the best method for completing bookings. This individual should have great attention to detail and strong organizational skills to ensure that all elements of confirmed services are up-to-date and accurate for multiple clients at a time.
The second part of the operations and sales specialist role will be to assist with the travel sales process as needed. This includes onboarding new clients, answering general travel-related questions as well as specific inquiries about the destination, crafting trip plans that meet the traveler’s needs and preferences, and utilizing your expertise to convert prospective travelers to confirmed bookings. Additionally, the specialist will provide in-trip support.
The third part will be to work with the product and engineering teams to continue to enhance the operations process and help design a world-class operations product.
Coordinating Travel Operations
Enhancing the Operations Process
- Confirming reservations for hotel, air, transfers and other travel services
- Corresponding by phone and/or email with hotels and other suppliers (tour operators, ground transportation, etc.) to check rates and availability
- Determining the best methods for booking different components of each trip plan
- Verifying that confirmed services are up-to-date, accurate, and fit in the schedule of the traveler’s itinerary
- Ensuring that all requests are processed within the specified timeframe
- Coordinating with the sales and development team regarding the status of reservations
- Submitting payments to our travel partners in a timely manner
- Assisting with department projects and sales coverage as needed
Assisting With the Sales Process
- Working with product/engineering to improve the operations process and to create a world-class operations product
- Maintaining and understanding key metrics, analytical reports, and key performance indicators to optimize operations
- Developing and delivering workflow process and systems improvements within operations
Providing In-Trip Support
- Responding to all traveler inquiries within 24 business hours
- Making calls to travelers and providing guidance and insight on the destination
- Helping to craft a trip plan that meets the traveler’s needs and preferences
- Answering questions about elements of the traveler's trip plan, kimkim’s services, general travel-related information, etc.
- Converting potential travelers into confirmed bookings
- Acting as a point of contact for travelers should emergencies or issues arise during travel
- Notifying travelers of any trip updates and communicating changes as needed
- Coordinating with travel partners to make timely adjustments when requested or required by the traveler
As an operations and sales specialist at kimkim, you will be given ownership of securing reservations and the execution of booked trips, ensuring our travelers have an amazing experience. Because of the level of responsibility, we are seeking candidates with a track record of overseeing multiple projects and deadlines, and who show a strong ability to deliver results.
- Excellent communication skills—both written and verbal
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Highly organized and able to prioritize and track multiple projects at once
- Strong customer service skills and a passion for helping others
- Background in managing multiple projects/accounts; experience with payment processing preferred
- Some sales experience preferred, but not required
- An entrepreneurial mindset and an eagerness to learn, experiment, and continuously strive to improve
- Highly adaptable and able to operate effectively in a rapidly changing startup environment
- Solid analytical skills, and the ability to leverage data to improve processes
- Excited to build strong relationships with both partners and colleagues
- Have a strong track record of delivering what you set out to do (and letting colleagues know when unexpected delays happen)
- Able to work independently, with support from a global team
- Eager to proactively take on new projects and more responsibility
- A passion for travel planning and a strong desire in growing into a travel sales role
- The ability to communicate in Spanish is a bonus
This position is based out of kimkim’s Boulder, Colorado office. The operations and sales specialist will meet in the office Tuesday - Thursday with the ability to work remotely on Mondays and Fridays.
Please note that this role will require some evening and weekend work, and is not on a strict 9-5 basis. Kimkim offers extensive opportunities for career growth in a small startup environment.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and a brief cover letter to [email protected]